Skip to main content

Week 12 Anne Harris

This week was the first week back from spring break. We decided that we needed to review a lot of math before moving forward with fractions.  I had the students do multiplication review first and then we went into the fraction game they have previously played before break. The students have been struggling with fractions so the game was a good way to review it in a fun environment. We have also practiced the math PARCC test because next week they are taking it. (So next blog I will not have much to write about) They struggled on that practice test when I looked at their results. We had a meeting going over the district math assessment and that was a good experience to have. It was nice to see the math coach and the third grade teachers collaborate together to improve moving forward. This relates to Standard 3 because they were talking about ways to form small groups for reteach lessons and new ways to teach what they struggled with on the test.

For reading we have just begin comparing setting, plot, and theme. They struggled with the theme and identifying the full picture of why the book was written. They also had a little bit of a hard time with writing the plot of the story using only 3 sentences. They were able to figure it out through class discussions and my example.

The biographies they are writing are still moving along. The students are in the process of interviewing their person and they are having trouble with making the answers to their interview questions into a story. I was working with the students who were at the part one on one and was reading out examples. I am hoping that it was get better once I give more examples of what to do and not to do.

Overall, the student teaching has been going well and I feel comfortable taking over the classroom. It was a nice transition and I fell the students respect me and trust me as their teacher. This relates to standard 4 because it is a positive learning environment for the students and myself always.

Comments

  1. Ms. Harris,
    You always provide good details on what the students will be learning and doing. Next week I want to encourage you to go deeper Please remember it is important for your reflections to always connect multiple standards along with the guiding questions provided in the syllabus. Thank for the heads up about testing next week.

    Best,
    Dr. Austin

    Dr. Austin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reviewing concepts after a break is always a good way to get the students ready for continuing with concepts they need to learn. Standard 3 does cover this problem.
    You started the week after the break with good results.

    jim

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anne Harris Week 15

This week we have continued working with our skill leveled groups on fractions. There are five students who are excelling in fractions and four who are still struggling very much. I have made different worksheets and activities for these students to help them remember the strategies we have been using since we began this chapter. This relates to Standard 1 and 3. It seems we are going to be on this for a lot longer than anticipated. Moving forward with reading and comparing, setting, plot, and theme the students began working with their partners to utilize this comprehension strategy. They have been doing amazing at this and I am very impressed with their work on this. They should be just fine working independently at the end of next week. Their success relates to Standard 2 and 6. We have been doing more land form reading on Epic Reading online and the students have been able to find interesting facts to write in their social studies notebook on each. The students enjoy listening ...

Anne Harris Week 8

This week the class started to learn how to use the online version of the PARCC test. This is new to the elementary grades this year, so they had to learn all the tools. This seems very complicated for them and a lot of work. The PARCC test is something I have learned about throughout Trinity, but to actually see the example tests verifies how hard this test can be. I assisted with the students as the teacher showed what to do on her computer on the board. During reading I am learning how to do the small groups. This relates to Standard 1 Teaching Diverse Students, because the students are split into their groups by their reading level. My teacher has allowed me to watch her do a few and this week I am starting to take that over. We just began these because the DRA testing has ended. I went to the 3rd grade DRA meeting, which was very informative. I like how the teachers and the reading specialists/ELL teachers all work together to come up with solutions/interventions for the childre...

Anne Harris Week 6

This week I started and finished my video taping for the edTPA. The kids did very good not paying attention to the camera and worked with each other very well each day. This relates to Standard 4 Learning Environment because even though there was some seat changes and a camera, they knew to still stay on task. I know what two days I want to use for my clips, but I still need to figure out exactly what parts I should use. I learned that planning ahead exactly is very hard, especially with the edTPA lesson plans, so I do need to adjust those, because we did not move long as I thought me would. Other than that, the students understand the concept of point of view much better now than they did on Tuesday. I learned the importance of exit slips and to explain questions you ask in more detail. Over all I still some things to do to finish up task 1 and I plan to have that done on Sunday so I can use Monday to work on task 2 at Trinity. I also continued to teach the lesson on Ruby Bridges. The...