This week I began doing a math workshop to help the students with fractions. There were 4 stations and one of them was working directly with me. I split the groups up into skill level and this seemed to go very well overall. This meets Standard 1 and 3. The students were able to work with peers at a similar skill level and could work through their issues together. I plan to use this kind of thing for the future to help students when they are continually struggling so I get more of an opportunity to work in small groups consistently.
The students are moving along with their biographies and I would say about half the class is done typing. From what I could tell overall was the most challenging was taking the answers to the questions they asked their person and turning that into full sentences. The students struggled with that and not just writing the answer word for word. This took a lot of one on one work and repetitive explanation of correct writing and incorrect writing. The students all are on the typing stage of their biography and should finish before next week is over. This meets Standard 6.
For science we did a hands on activity through Mystery Science. This activity was building a bridge out of two pieces of paper and seeing how many pennies it could hold before it fell apart. This was very fun and engaging for the students. The experiment calls for three attempts to make the bridge, but we have only been able to do one per group. This has been a great team working activity as well as engineering work. I am excited for the students to continue to work on this and improve their ideas on how to build their next bridges.
We also had a field trip this week at the Museum of Science and Industry. The students were so excited and had a lot of energy at this place. I had a group of 4 and I found out how challenging and exhausting it is to keep sight of four kids running around a museum. Overall, it was fun and the students needed somewhere where they can learn and touch new things and discover. This meets Standard 4 and 8.
I am looking forward to my last full week of student teaching coming up.
The students are moving along with their biographies and I would say about half the class is done typing. From what I could tell overall was the most challenging was taking the answers to the questions they asked their person and turning that into full sentences. The students struggled with that and not just writing the answer word for word. This took a lot of one on one work and repetitive explanation of correct writing and incorrect writing. The students all are on the typing stage of their biography and should finish before next week is over. This meets Standard 6.
For science we did a hands on activity through Mystery Science. This activity was building a bridge out of two pieces of paper and seeing how many pennies it could hold before it fell apart. This was very fun and engaging for the students. The experiment calls for three attempts to make the bridge, but we have only been able to do one per group. This has been a great team working activity as well as engineering work. I am excited for the students to continue to work on this and improve their ideas on how to build their next bridges.
We also had a field trip this week at the Museum of Science and Industry. The students were so excited and had a lot of energy at this place. I had a group of 4 and I found out how challenging and exhausting it is to keep sight of four kids running around a museum. Overall, it was fun and the students needed somewhere where they can learn and touch new things and discover. This meets Standard 4 and 8.
I am looking forward to my last full week of student teaching coming up.
Comments
Post a Comment