Skip to main content

Anne Harris Week 13

This week we did PARCC testing. I learned how to administer the tests and I was glad I was able to see this take place. This relates to standard 5 Instructional Delivery because there was a page that gave the exact directions to read to the class and the students had to go step by step without going ahead. This also meets Standard 9 because as a teacher, you could not help the students with anything except device malfunction. It was a very long day for the students because they took the math test in the morning, which is an hour and then in the afternoon they took the ELA test, which is 75 minutes. The PARCC test meets Standard 7 Assessment. The students were able to bring a snack after the math test and were given extra recess/free time to unwind. The students for the most part did well. Some students you can tell rushed through the test and were done in 12 minutes. I like how on the teacher computer you can see what time the students answer the questions so you can keep track who is not putting in the effort.

This week was also I Love To Read Week, so there were many reading and writing activities that were school wide. It was a nice fun break, but still work for them after the long days of testing. The students were able to write a school wide story, about a class pet, and "I walked into class today and my teacher ___." The students wrote and were able to share with partners and the class their response. The author of the books we were focusing on came to the school and gave a presentation about how and why he became a writer and the students were very engaged in that as well. This went along with Standard 6 because it had to do with reading, writing, and oral communication because they did all of the above for the activities that were given for this fun week.

The students also had to write a district essay with the topic about sledding being dangerous or not. This goes with Standard 6 because this essay is focusing on writing communication.

Since this week was a lot of testing and district material that needed to be completed, there was not a lot of my teaching going on. I was able to do some social studies with them. We started land forms and I had the students read certain books on epic and write a fact on flaps we made previously in their social studies notebook. These lessons also meet Standard 6.

Comments

  1. With a few weeks left in your student teaching experiences], I decided to post a general message to all of the student teachers. As you continue to move through the final weeks remember to reflect on your areas of strength to make them stronger. Decide what areas you still need to grow in and make small intentional changes. You have done some amazing work that has made a difference in the learning of students. Continue strong and teach with everything in you for you are blessed to have this opportunity.

    Onward to the finish line!

    Dr. Austin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anne Harris Week 15

This week we have continued working with our skill leveled groups on fractions. There are five students who are excelling in fractions and four who are still struggling very much. I have made different worksheets and activities for these students to help them remember the strategies we have been using since we began this chapter. This relates to Standard 1 and 3. It seems we are going to be on this for a lot longer than anticipated. Moving forward with reading and comparing, setting, plot, and theme the students began working with their partners to utilize this comprehension strategy. They have been doing amazing at this and I am very impressed with their work on this. They should be just fine working independently at the end of next week. Their success relates to Standard 2 and 6. We have been doing more land form reading on Epic Reading online and the students have been able to find interesting facts to write in their social studies notebook on each. The students enjoy listening ...

Anne Harris Week 8

This week the class started to learn how to use the online version of the PARCC test. This is new to the elementary grades this year, so they had to learn all the tools. This seems very complicated for them and a lot of work. The PARCC test is something I have learned about throughout Trinity, but to actually see the example tests verifies how hard this test can be. I assisted with the students as the teacher showed what to do on her computer on the board. During reading I am learning how to do the small groups. This relates to Standard 1 Teaching Diverse Students, because the students are split into their groups by their reading level. My teacher has allowed me to watch her do a few and this week I am starting to take that over. We just began these because the DRA testing has ended. I went to the 3rd grade DRA meeting, which was very informative. I like how the teachers and the reading specialists/ELL teachers all work together to come up with solutions/interventions for the childre...

Anne Harris Week 6

This week I started and finished my video taping for the edTPA. The kids did very good not paying attention to the camera and worked with each other very well each day. This relates to Standard 4 Learning Environment because even though there was some seat changes and a camera, they knew to still stay on task. I know what two days I want to use for my clips, but I still need to figure out exactly what parts I should use. I learned that planning ahead exactly is very hard, especially with the edTPA lesson plans, so I do need to adjust those, because we did not move long as I thought me would. Other than that, the students understand the concept of point of view much better now than they did on Tuesday. I learned the importance of exit slips and to explain questions you ask in more detail. Over all I still some things to do to finish up task 1 and I plan to have that done on Sunday so I can use Monday to work on task 2 at Trinity. I also continued to teach the lesson on Ruby Bridges. The...