Skip to main content

Anne Harris Week 9

This week in math we started fractions. The students were very confused on this lesson. Me and my cooperating teacher decided a reteach lesson was needed. We had a lot of worksheets for practice and made them raise their hand to check it before they we ready to move on to the next one. On Friday we continued with more worksheets for practice and had the students who finished and understood well to help the struggling students. This relates to Standard 3 Planning for Differentiated Instruction because some students needed extra attention and we knew that from the previous days and notes we took. This helped us target those students to have another students helping 1 on 1 as well as the teacher checking for accuracy. Fractions is on the Paarc Test so we are trying to get these in as much as we can before spring break begins.

Reading has gone very well for cause and effect. We have done all fiction books so far and they have showed success for them. They began working in groups and the last three days of this week on their own. Non-fiction books will begin next week. The small group reading I have began and it has been going well. This relates to Standard 1 Teaching Diverse Students. I will preview the books vocabulary words and main idea of the story first, then the next time we meet they read on their own and answer questions. They are split up by their reading level so it is a great way to focus in on certain levels of students at one time.

Writing has been going good. We are doing thick and think questions so the students can tell the difference between them. This will help when they write their biographies on their own and know how to ask their person the correct kind of questions to have enough information. We made an anchor chart for them to refer to as we go back to the books we have already read and have them think what the author asked the person to get the answers. This has been going well for the past couple of days. We are all set up for next weeks plans for writing, and they should be picking their person by the end of next week so we can actually get started on this unit.

We have had more time for science this week. The students enjoy science and are glad to have this time. I chose a video lesson that involved a lot of movement and helpers. The students all participated very well and understood how to do every part of the lesson. This relates to Standard 8 Collaborative Relationships because even though there was a lot of movement and a lot of students who had a specific role in this lesson, they all were successful in the end. These videos are a big help.

Comments

  1. Ms. Harris
    You are moving right along with your experiences and sharing good examples through your blog. Next week can you share any ways which your experience has made you shift your thinking in any practices?
    Best,
    Dr. Austin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anne Harris Week 15

This week we have continued working with our skill leveled groups on fractions. There are five students who are excelling in fractions and four who are still struggling very much. I have made different worksheets and activities for these students to help them remember the strategies we have been using since we began this chapter. This relates to Standard 1 and 3. It seems we are going to be on this for a lot longer than anticipated. Moving forward with reading and comparing, setting, plot, and theme the students began working with their partners to utilize this comprehension strategy. They have been doing amazing at this and I am very impressed with their work on this. They should be just fine working independently at the end of next week. Their success relates to Standard 2 and 6. We have been doing more land form reading on Epic Reading online and the students have been able to find interesting facts to write in their social studies notebook on each. The students enjoy listening ...

Anne Harris Week 8

This week the class started to learn how to use the online version of the PARCC test. This is new to the elementary grades this year, so they had to learn all the tools. This seems very complicated for them and a lot of work. The PARCC test is something I have learned about throughout Trinity, but to actually see the example tests verifies how hard this test can be. I assisted with the students as the teacher showed what to do on her computer on the board. During reading I am learning how to do the small groups. This relates to Standard 1 Teaching Diverse Students, because the students are split into their groups by their reading level. My teacher has allowed me to watch her do a few and this week I am starting to take that over. We just began these because the DRA testing has ended. I went to the 3rd grade DRA meeting, which was very informative. I like how the teachers and the reading specialists/ELL teachers all work together to come up with solutions/interventions for the childre...

Anne Harris Week 6

This week I started and finished my video taping for the edTPA. The kids did very good not paying attention to the camera and worked with each other very well each day. This relates to Standard 4 Learning Environment because even though there was some seat changes and a camera, they knew to still stay on task. I know what two days I want to use for my clips, but I still need to figure out exactly what parts I should use. I learned that planning ahead exactly is very hard, especially with the edTPA lesson plans, so I do need to adjust those, because we did not move long as I thought me would. Other than that, the students understand the concept of point of view much better now than they did on Tuesday. I learned the importance of exit slips and to explain questions you ask in more detail. Over all I still some things to do to finish up task 1 and I plan to have that done on Sunday so I can use Monday to work on task 2 at Trinity. I also continued to teach the lesson on Ruby Bridges. The...