Week 4 was a week of change and finally getting things figured out. To start, my teacher was not going to be okay with me teaching math for my edTPA because she doesn't trust I will be prepared enough to teach them what they need to know. With that being said, she emailed Dr. Price to have me change it to literacy, so now I am back to square one. I am now taking control of what I need to do and getting it done with all this that happened basically without my choice. So, with that being said, I am all planned for what I am doing for my edTPA, when I am taping, and preparing to get to that point. Me and my teacher have talked and I know what steps I am taking and exactly what lessons I need to plan for to be prepared for my observation and edTPA. I am now in the process of talking to edTPA to get the switch finalized.
This week I have taken over reading the Caldecott books to the class daily and having the grade the books on their worksheet. I also am in control of grading their reader responses and having them fix them if need be. I have been proof reading their memoir rough drafts and giving them the okay to type or not. I was surprised at the student's lack of computer skills after this. I am walking the students to their gym or art class. They still need to respect me as a teacher because some still do not. Me and my teacher have a plan for me to be in total charge of their clips so they know that I discipline too.
Things that I have observed in the class that I like are using Magic Tree House books to teach literacy lessons. I like this because they like these books and pay attention to the stories as well as the assignment. I like the use of math games. She uses it as a way to practice their multiplication and division and from what I can see, the students stay on task while playing them. I observed some DRA testing and how she goes about grading them. I also saw a spelling test and how she does the four different groups. Something else I observed is the lack of importance for science and social studies for my teacher. It is "if there is time" instead of making time.
For next week, on Monday I will begin my first reading lesson to further character traits that they have been working on since Friday. Tuesday is my observation and I will be reading two more chapters in the Magic Tree House Book and leading the assignment of picking out a character trait themselves and writing about it. I will be grading these as well. I will be taking this over. I also will start with our Black History Month learning, starting with a Martin Luther King book and discussion that leads to decorating the door for a school walking museum. Week 5 should be the beginning of me taking over subjects and teaching much more. I feel much better about everything even though the initial switch from math to literacy really made me upset. I am now able to plan ahead and I know what is coming.
This week I have taken over reading the Caldecott books to the class daily and having the grade the books on their worksheet. I also am in control of grading their reader responses and having them fix them if need be. I have been proof reading their memoir rough drafts and giving them the okay to type or not. I was surprised at the student's lack of computer skills after this. I am walking the students to their gym or art class. They still need to respect me as a teacher because some still do not. Me and my teacher have a plan for me to be in total charge of their clips so they know that I discipline too.
Things that I have observed in the class that I like are using Magic Tree House books to teach literacy lessons. I like this because they like these books and pay attention to the stories as well as the assignment. I like the use of math games. She uses it as a way to practice their multiplication and division and from what I can see, the students stay on task while playing them. I observed some DRA testing and how she goes about grading them. I also saw a spelling test and how she does the four different groups. Something else I observed is the lack of importance for science and social studies for my teacher. It is "if there is time" instead of making time.
For next week, on Monday I will begin my first reading lesson to further character traits that they have been working on since Friday. Tuesday is my observation and I will be reading two more chapters in the Magic Tree House Book and leading the assignment of picking out a character trait themselves and writing about it. I will be grading these as well. I will be taking this over. I also will start with our Black History Month learning, starting with a Martin Luther King book and discussion that leads to decorating the door for a school walking museum. Week 5 should be the beginning of me taking over subjects and teaching much more. I feel much better about everything even though the initial switch from math to literacy really made me upset. I am now able to plan ahead and I know what is coming.
Ms. Harris,
ReplyDeleteI am glad you have your plan to move forward so you can focus on teaching. It sounds as though you have found some resources and activities that will support you with teaching. Your reflections are clear and remember you need to connect these with the standards for your blogs so that we can clearly see the connections you are making. If you have any questions about this please reach out to me via email Karen.austin@trnty.edu.
Looking forward to week 5!
Dr. Austin