The Monday of week 3 was a change because there was a substitute that day. I did all of my morning checks as I have been doing since last week, but since there was a sub I felt like I was doing much more. The sub was still in control of the class, but this was my first experience of disciplining the students. They were more disruptive today than I have ever seen before, and I am sure it has something to do with the teacher not being there. I was thankful for the sub we had because she was a retired teacher who worked at that school for many years and she was very helpful and has subbed this class before. We made it through the day with only one student having to write a behavior reflection sheet. Moving forward in the week, I still took charge of policing the reading, fluency checks, and sharing their work to the rest of the class. Thursday was my first observation which was a co-teacher lesson, which we will not do again. It went well in my opinion and we were able to finish that lesson on Friday because we initially ran out of time. At the end of the day on Friday, I was helping the students with their writing rough drafts and correcting their grammar and making sure it actually made sense. A highlight of my week was on Wednesday, the teacher was running late because of the terrible weather, and she texted me to set up what was already on the computer but it was something the students already did. I improvised and had the students play a math game instead. This was something I know you have to do with teaching when technology doesn't always work, is to improvise.
Things I have observed in the class that I like is using books for many different things, and not just for reading. My teacher used the book "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" for math! It was different and made the future worksheets relate. Something else I noticed, and I am assuming is very important for all lower grades is reading every single thing out loud to the class.This relates to Standard 5- Instructional Delivery. For example, they got character trait examples on a worksheet, and the teacher went through every word to make sure they understood what they meant. This is also seen in directions and worksheets, and while reading books. She will stop and make sure they know what a word means or ask them to predict what will happen. This is something I wouldn't have thought to do without seeing its value. You cannot assume they know or understand what you are giving them. Another thing I have been noticing is the amount of times the students turn and talk to their partner on the carpet or their groups at their desks to discuss answers before we share. I like this because it gives the students an opportunity to explain what they are thinking and why in a smaller setting. Another thing that goes along with this is having students who have finished something early help their classmates who may be struggling. For example, for the memoirs they are writing, their partner will read over and make sure it makes sense before it is brought to the teacher to have it checked. I like this strategy because it allows the students to take what they know and help their peer. This relates to Standard 6-Oral Communication. Something else my teacher does in the beginning of the day is have the students who were absent come to the back table and she tries to catch them up with everything they missed the day before while the other students are doing their morning work. I like this idea because its a perfect time to do it and now they aren't completely lost when we come up to that part of the day to continue on.
My teacher has been discussing more about grading and what is actually for a grade. I have been reading more of their reader responses and grading their math. My teacher has shown me how she plans for parent teacher conferences, which are soon, and I even got to experience a call home to a parent. We have planned for next week and the goals for me and what I will be doing. What we have come up with so far is I will be starting off the whole day by putting up the morning with along with everything else I already do. Next, I will be doing the reading for the Caldecott books and leading them through their worksheet on grading them. I will be in charge of science and social studies as well. I have picked the book for Monday, and will pick the books moving forward. We have a plan for the science and social studies lessons as well and have printed off worksheets. I will continue editing their writing and helping them make their stories. I will be walking the students to and from art and gym by myself and being in charge of bathroom breaks. I will also line them up and walk them out at the end of the day. There is definitely a lot more ahead of me and I am exciting to take it one step at a time.
Things I have observed in the class that I like is using books for many different things, and not just for reading. My teacher used the book "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" for math! It was different and made the future worksheets relate. Something else I noticed, and I am assuming is very important for all lower grades is reading every single thing out loud to the class.This relates to Standard 5- Instructional Delivery. For example, they got character trait examples on a worksheet, and the teacher went through every word to make sure they understood what they meant. This is also seen in directions and worksheets, and while reading books. She will stop and make sure they know what a word means or ask them to predict what will happen. This is something I wouldn't have thought to do without seeing its value. You cannot assume they know or understand what you are giving them. Another thing I have been noticing is the amount of times the students turn and talk to their partner on the carpet or their groups at their desks to discuss answers before we share. I like this because it gives the students an opportunity to explain what they are thinking and why in a smaller setting. Another thing that goes along with this is having students who have finished something early help their classmates who may be struggling. For example, for the memoirs they are writing, their partner will read over and make sure it makes sense before it is brought to the teacher to have it checked. I like this strategy because it allows the students to take what they know and help their peer. This relates to Standard 6-Oral Communication. Something else my teacher does in the beginning of the day is have the students who were absent come to the back table and she tries to catch them up with everything they missed the day before while the other students are doing their morning work. I like this idea because its a perfect time to do it and now they aren't completely lost when we come up to that part of the day to continue on.
My teacher has been discussing more about grading and what is actually for a grade. I have been reading more of their reader responses and grading their math. My teacher has shown me how she plans for parent teacher conferences, which are soon, and I even got to experience a call home to a parent. We have planned for next week and the goals for me and what I will be doing. What we have come up with so far is I will be starting off the whole day by putting up the morning with along with everything else I already do. Next, I will be doing the reading for the Caldecott books and leading them through their worksheet on grading them. I will be in charge of science and social studies as well. I have picked the book for Monday, and will pick the books moving forward. We have a plan for the science and social studies lessons as well and have printed off worksheets. I will continue editing their writing and helping them make their stories. I will be walking the students to and from art and gym by myself and being in charge of bathroom breaks. I will also line them up and walk them out at the end of the day. There is definitely a lot more ahead of me and I am exciting to take it one step at a time.
Ms. Harris,
ReplyDeleteYou have identified some good strategies and ways to use resources in a variety of ways to support and engage learners. It sounds like you really understand the importance of planning, being flexible and prepared.
Onward to week 4!