Skip to main content

Anne Harris Week 2

Week 2 of student teaching was a good transition from week 1. I started taking attendance, hot lunch count, morning assignment signature check, and even started grading math worksheets. During their morning work I would also walk around and help. I was in charge of calling groups to the carpet and back to their seats as well. During their reading, I took charge of policing their reading, checking for fluency, and reading their papers. Their whole reading routine they have in the class is amazing and relates to Standard 6 Reading, Writing, and Oral Communication. They love to read to the class and to each other, and more often than not volunteer willingly. At the end of the day on Thursday and all day Friday we had 10 students from the other third grade class come to our class because their teacher had to leave. I took more charge of their classroom and it was a great learning experience to prepare for the unexpected. On Friday I also started grading the student's reader response work.

Something I observed this week in the class was how to discipline students. Having 10 extra students in the class caused more issues where discipline was needed. The clip system is a good immediate response and if a student gets down to "think about it" on the chart they have to write a behavior reflection that has to be signed by the parent, which happened twice this week. My direct experience was a student from the other class asked me if he could go to the bathroom and I told him to hold on, while I went to ask my teacher. He decided to leave the classroom on his own and that resulted in disciplinary action. I know disciplining students may be hard to learn to implement, but it is nice to see different ways to deal with different situations.

The students did end up acting out more than usual when the other class came in, but usually my class was very good and respect the teacher. This relates to Standard 4 Learning Environment because the students give mutual respect and active engagement for the most part in the class. The students are starting to feel more comfortable with me and asking me questions. I am starting to learn exactly what my teacher is looking for when it comes to grading and I cant wait to be able to help the students more on my own.

My teacher and I have discussed what lesson I will be teaching next week and she was very helpful. I feel very comfortable with my teacher and the students and I am excited to see how the lesson goes.


Comments

  1. Ms. Harris,

    You seem to be transitioning very well from observation to being actively involved in your class. Good work making connections to the standards that you identified this week. I am excited for you to move into more teaching next week. Please be sure to share what you and your cooperating teacher did to prepare for what you will be teaching so we can see what planning and preparations took place.

    Continue onward to week 3!
    Dr. Austin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing the mundane is mandatory in every classroom BUT very important.
    Helping the students with the morning work is a good way to begin a teaching day.
    You seem very capable in taking charge of the reading program. Having a class that loves to read is a real "plus".
    Discipline is a must in a well run class.
    I am glad you feel comfortable with your teacher and that she is helpful.
    Good week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anne Harris Week 15

This week we have continued working with our skill leveled groups on fractions. There are five students who are excelling in fractions and four who are still struggling very much. I have made different worksheets and activities for these students to help them remember the strategies we have been using since we began this chapter. This relates to Standard 1 and 3. It seems we are going to be on this for a lot longer than anticipated. Moving forward with reading and comparing, setting, plot, and theme the students began working with their partners to utilize this comprehension strategy. They have been doing amazing at this and I am very impressed with their work on this. They should be just fine working independently at the end of next week. Their success relates to Standard 2 and 6. We have been doing more land form reading on Epic Reading online and the students have been able to find interesting facts to write in their social studies notebook on each. The students enjoy listening ...

Anne Harris Week 8

This week the class started to learn how to use the online version of the PARCC test. This is new to the elementary grades this year, so they had to learn all the tools. This seems very complicated for them and a lot of work. The PARCC test is something I have learned about throughout Trinity, but to actually see the example tests verifies how hard this test can be. I assisted with the students as the teacher showed what to do on her computer on the board. During reading I am learning how to do the small groups. This relates to Standard 1 Teaching Diverse Students, because the students are split into their groups by their reading level. My teacher has allowed me to watch her do a few and this week I am starting to take that over. We just began these because the DRA testing has ended. I went to the 3rd grade DRA meeting, which was very informative. I like how the teachers and the reading specialists/ELL teachers all work together to come up with solutions/interventions for the childre...

Anne Harris Week 6

This week I started and finished my video taping for the edTPA. The kids did very good not paying attention to the camera and worked with each other very well each day. This relates to Standard 4 Learning Environment because even though there was some seat changes and a camera, they knew to still stay on task. I know what two days I want to use for my clips, but I still need to figure out exactly what parts I should use. I learned that planning ahead exactly is very hard, especially with the edTPA lesson plans, so I do need to adjust those, because we did not move long as I thought me would. Other than that, the students understand the concept of point of view much better now than they did on Tuesday. I learned the importance of exit slips and to explain questions you ask in more detail. Over all I still some things to do to finish up task 1 and I plan to have that done on Sunday so I can use Monday to work on task 2 at Trinity. I also continued to teach the lesson on Ruby Bridges. The...