Skip to main content

Anne Harris Week 1

Week 1 of student teaching was a great start to the semester. I mostly was observing the teacher and the students for this week. After the first day, I would walk around and help or answer questions students had on the work. My cooperating teacher was still fully in charge, but was very helpful in explaining what she was doing. During the student's special times and lunch we were able to talk about topics more in detail and she was able to show me exactly what they were doing, why, and how they got to this level.
After this first week, I basically figured out the routine my class has. They begin the day with morning work that is related to math then continue with math that goes all the way until 10:15 which is either gym or music. After that is reading and writing. This takes us to recess and lunch and when they return we finish off with the reading and writing that was left. The last part of the day is either social studies or science. This routine works well for the class and the students are very good at transitioning on one subject to another. Something that was very effective that I saw in the class was the reading and reader's response the teacher has going on. The students will read a chapter of a book and write either a main idea, moral of the story, or a question they had that they answered. This activity has gone smoothly for the week and the students get to read independently and with a partner and write a response with a purpose. This is something I would love to implement into my classroom. This relates to Standard 6 Reading, Writing, and Oral Communication.
Something that my teacher has done for differentiation that she told me was for spelling and for reading. Depending on their score on a previous spelling test determines the group the students should be in and each group has their own spelling words. For reading, my teacher using the "5 finger method," which is a student will pick a book and has to read one page without messing up on 5 words. If they do, the book is too hard. If they get through it with 5 fingers then it is too easy. This is a quick and useful way for students to pick books they will be able to read independently and understand without having to check for reading levels of every book they try. This would relate to Standard 3 Planning for Differentiation Instruction

There were many new concepts that my teacher utilizes in her classroom that I took note of. The students sit in groups and the groups names are written on the board. For good work they get tally's throughout the day and the get added up at the end of the day and at the end of the week to win a prize. Another thing my teacher does is after the kids come back from a special, they do a "Go Noodle" fun video to regroup before class starts again. These are usually dances or handshakes that last about 1 minute. The kids seem to like it and always participate. The classroom also has a "stay at school folder" and book bins for each students. This makes sure that students don't leave papers at home or lose books they check out from the library or from the classroom. Another interesting thing I noticed was for discipline, the teacher would say "make better choices" as the words for the students to stop and think about what they were doing. She also uses a paper clip board to track behavior that corresponds with sheet that is sent home and signed by the parents. I like how easy it is to use and so useful. My teacher also started to show me how she does her lesson plans and it was very helpful. She likes to be organized and plan for the week ahead, which I liked. I plan to do something similar to her, which is to pick a subject to plan each day for the whole next week. This should make it not overwhelming and easier to plan ahead.
From what I have observed in the classroom so far is a lot of respect between the students and the teacher. The teacher doesn't just give the answer to the students and for the most part, the students know they need to try on their own before asking for help. I would like to implement that relationship with my students and also have a similar system for when the students do need help, feel comfortable to come to the back table and work with me to find the solution.

What I hope to learn about teaching in the weeks ahead is how to plan for a specific time to get in most of what we needed before moving on. I would like to learn more about what she is looking for in the readers responses to be correct or incorrect and how she is determining that. I am excited to see other ways my teacher helps the few students who don't want to try on their own get them to try. Everyday is a new experience, so I am just ready to take it all in and be ready for the unexpected in the future. Something that I would like to do is have group reading and presenting on many occasions like my teacher does. From my previous classroom observations, group work never worked out, but in this class I see how to make it work and to keep the students on topic.

My goals for this upcoming week is that I am going to become more involved in the classroom by taking attendance, lunch call, calling groups back to their desks, and to continue and help any raised hands for questions. My teacher and I already discussed what my first observable lesson will be and it should happen in week 3. I had a successful first week and I am thankful for the cooperating teacher I am working with.

Comments

  1. Anne,

    Read your blog your off to a good start.

    Routines and transitioning is a good life skill.
    (help s teachers with time restraints)
    Good take aways...
    - Students reading independently & writing responses
    - " 5 finger method "I liked this...never heard it before.

    You seem to have a very good cooperating teacher.
    Keep up the good work.
    jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reposting this- it does not appear that it posted last week.

    Ms. Harris,

    Thank you for your post. You have provided a good, detailed summary of the learning that took place through your observations in your class during week1. In your blog, you have clearly shared the routines, ELA strategies, the class environment including strategic seating and the use of “Go Noodle” that you observed. You appear ready to move into week to with the goals you have set around the specific tasks.

    In week 2 I hope to see some mentions of IPTS connected to what is taking place in the class. One way to do this is through Standard 4-the Learning Environment along with the content standard you are focused on.

    I look forward to reading about your experience during week 2.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anne Harris Week 15

This week we have continued working with our skill leveled groups on fractions. There are five students who are excelling in fractions and four who are still struggling very much. I have made different worksheets and activities for these students to help them remember the strategies we have been using since we began this chapter. This relates to Standard 1 and 3. It seems we are going to be on this for a lot longer than anticipated. Moving forward with reading and comparing, setting, plot, and theme the students began working with their partners to utilize this comprehension strategy. They have been doing amazing at this and I am very impressed with their work on this. They should be just fine working independently at the end of next week. Their success relates to Standard 2 and 6. We have been doing more land form reading on Epic Reading online and the students have been able to find interesting facts to write in their social studies notebook on each. The students enjoy listening ...

Anne Harris Week 8

This week the class started to learn how to use the online version of the PARCC test. This is new to the elementary grades this year, so they had to learn all the tools. This seems very complicated for them and a lot of work. The PARCC test is something I have learned about throughout Trinity, but to actually see the example tests verifies how hard this test can be. I assisted with the students as the teacher showed what to do on her computer on the board. During reading I am learning how to do the small groups. This relates to Standard 1 Teaching Diverse Students, because the students are split into their groups by their reading level. My teacher has allowed me to watch her do a few and this week I am starting to take that over. We just began these because the DRA testing has ended. I went to the 3rd grade DRA meeting, which was very informative. I like how the teachers and the reading specialists/ELL teachers all work together to come up with solutions/interventions for the childre...

Anne Harris Week 6

This week I started and finished my video taping for the edTPA. The kids did very good not paying attention to the camera and worked with each other very well each day. This relates to Standard 4 Learning Environment because even though there was some seat changes and a camera, they knew to still stay on task. I know what two days I want to use for my clips, but I still need to figure out exactly what parts I should use. I learned that planning ahead exactly is very hard, especially with the edTPA lesson plans, so I do need to adjust those, because we did not move long as I thought me would. Other than that, the students understand the concept of point of view much better now than they did on Tuesday. I learned the importance of exit slips and to explain questions you ask in more detail. Over all I still some things to do to finish up task 1 and I plan to have that done on Sunday so I can use Monday to work on task 2 at Trinity. I also continued to teach the lesson on Ruby Bridges. The...